Glaucoma is an eye disease that occurs when intraocular pressure increases in the optical chamber due to retention of aqueous humor there. This increased pressure, if not treated immediately, can lead to the damage of optic nerves, which results in deteriorated eyesight. Glaucoma persisting for a long time period can also culminate into permanent loss of sight.
Statistics suggest that more than three million people in the US are suffering from low to mild levels of glaucoma. From prescription medications to surgeries, various treatments are available for glaucoma. However, all of them are linked to some side effects.
For instance, medicines prescribed for the treatment of glaucoma can cause some serious reactions such as stingy eyes, headaches, breathing difficulties, abnormal blood pressure, dry mouth and blurry vision. Meanwhile, the option of laser surgery is expensive and not free of side effects either. Inflammation is a common side effect whether you go for conventional or laser surgery.
But there is an effective alternative treatment of glaucoma available in the form of medical marijuana. Let’s have a look at how and why medical marijuana can help with the symptoms of medical marijuana.
1) Medical Marijuana Helps in Relieving Intraocular Pressure
Glaucoma originates from the abnormal optical pressure. Therefore, most of the conventionally prescribed medications are also recommended to reduce this pressure. But as mentioned earlier, the administration of these drugs can also bring about some unwanted side effects.
For that purpose, medical marijuana in its different forms can be consumed. In many different ways, medical marijuana helps in reducing the eye pressure.
- Administration of medical marijuana makes the eyes sluggish. This action helps in relieving the intraocular pressure. Furthermore, it also helps with pain management and can aid in a good night’s sleep.
- With constant blurred vision and feeling of nausea, it’s only natural to feel anxious and stressed. These psychological anomalies also aggravate the condition of optical chamber, resulting in further increment of intraocular pressure. Medical marijuana can treat this state of anxiety and depression to indirectly mitigate the intraocular pressure.
2) Medical Marijuana Acts as Painkiller and Anti-Inflammation for Glaucoma Patients
Inflammation in and around the eye and severe pain are often the byproduct of glaucoma. Prescription medicines can sometimes aggravate these side effects when treating the intraocular pressure.
On the other hand, THC and cannabidiol present in medical marijuana products can help in treating the pain and reducing the inflammation. You can ask a reputable MMJ store for the medical marijuana strains containing the traces of both cannabidiol and THC.
3) Medical Marijuana Treats the Condition of Vomiting and Nausea in Glaucoma Patients
Along with throbbing pains, nausea and vomiting are other agonizing side effects of glaucoma that make lives of the patients living hell. Some medical marijuana strains can help you in alleviating these conditions. The administration of these MMJ strains uplifts the mood, which can help in subsiding the feeling of nausea.